Academic / School Administration / Facilities in JNVs / Students
Navodaya Vidyalayas have collaborative agreement with CBSE over its academic programs or policies. The Vidyalaya provide education to deserving children at free of cost, from Class-VI to XII. All Navodaya Vidyalayas are co-educational institutions with residential facilities. Here students receive free textbooks, stationery, school uniforms besides boarding and lodging. The students are also entitled to get transportation fees of bus and rail.
But as per Vidyalaya Vikas Nidhi, students of Classes-IX to XII pay a minimum fee of Rs. 600/- per month. On the other hand, this fee is not liable for the girl students along with students listed under SC/ST categories and BPL families. Govt. Employees who have children in Navodaya Vidyalayas have to pay the Vidyalaya Vikas Nidhi fee of Rs. 1500/- per month for every child.
Facilities for Students in Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas
Students in JNVs receive the following facilities free of cost
(2) Boarding facilities
(3) Lodging facilities
(5) Text books
(7) Daily need use items for girls and boys
Other Free of cost facilities include
(1) Travel expenditure of students by IIIAC in train/AC bus
(2) Medical expenditure.
Navodaya Vidyalaya also bears the following expenses of students
(Table = Direct expenditure per student – With effect from 1st April 2021)
Vidyalaya Vikas Nidhi covers the following expenditures
- The Computer Education Programme allows buying of essential educational software, accessories, and hardware related to IT.
- The institution can make use of professional services to create interest of sports, adventure activities, yoga, etc.
- Vidyalaya Vikas Nidhi also covers the expenses of educational excursions of all the students. Such expenses are not only meant for students who have migrated.
- This fund can also be utilized for specific guidance and preparation on field of cultural significance. It includes programme like folk dance, Mohiniyattom, Kuchippudi, Bharatnatyam, Art and SPICMACAY.
- VVN further allocates expenses on reading room facilities, acquirement of academic tools, health care facilities along with Safety and Security. It can be even used for improving the quality of drinking water, making available hot water facilities, hygienic toilets, and tiles for toilet floors.
W.E.F. 1.1.2018 following kinds of expenses can too be met by VVN:
- Installing CCTV cameras in the general area.
- Maintenance of CCTVs in the Vidyalayas.
- Employ 2 security staff at each Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, through outsourcing.
- Engage counsellors, as per the official rule, on part-time basis.
Safety and Security
Regarding the matter of safety and security of students, the Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti has implemented the policy of ‘zero tolerance’. To handle this issue firmly wide-ranging guidelines have been put into practice every now and then. The perspective of children’s safety and security is such that even the Principals and Teachers are provided proper awareness. A variety of orientation classes are conducted for this. Moreover, the final results of such training are showing excellent signs.
- To provide urgent medical assistance, every Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya appoints a permanent Staff Nurse.
- Everyday part-time Doctors are to visit the Navodaya Vidyalayas for 2 (two) hours. The NVS has officially agreed upon appointment of Doctors. This approval applies to two categories of JNVs: a) each Vidyalayas situated in areas with improper transportation, and Vidyalayas located at a distance of more than 10 kilometres away Tehsil headquarters and more than 25 kilometres away District headquarters, b) in some Vidyalayas, the Doctor make 2 visits per week, c) furthermore, other healthcare professionals like Eye Specialists or Dentists also visits the Vidyalaya whenever the need arises. Even the Counsellor attends the students as per requirement.
- In case of any emergency, the service of vehicle can also be availed.
For making sure that the students of Navodaya Vidyalayas remain safe during any fire accidents obligatory directions are issued. All the Navodaya Vidyalayas must install ample amount of Fire Extinguishers as well as MOEFA (Manually Operated Electronic Fire Alarm). The MOEFA is the nominal fire safety equipment for certain types of building according to NBC 2016.
Protection of Children from Sexual Offences
The POCSO Act has been a part of the guiding code of JNVs. For preventing Sexual Abuse of Girl Child, compulsory instructions are implemented. Every Navodaya Vidyalaya has a School Complaint Committee (S.C.C.) which serves as a complaints and redressal body. The SSC is to be chaired by either the Principal or the Vice- Principal. The Committee comprises of five more members, they are one female teacher, one male teacher, one female student, one male student and one member from non-teaching staff.
A Cluster Complaint Committee (C.C.C.) shall be established in each Regional Office, with the Coordinator being the Assistant Commissioner in charge of the Cluster. Furthermore, each of these Committees must include a female officer as a member.
The Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas have been instructed to severely prohibit corporal punishments.
Bullying and Ragging
The JNVs have been given instructions to implement a strict prohibition on bullying and ragging.
To offer quality education is the foremost aim of the Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti. Dedicated teachers are the prime need to accomplish this objective. In the educational system, teachers play a very imminent role. The NVS processes the appointments of its teachers through an external agency. Even the non-teaching staff gets employed by such independent agencies. There is a Selection Committee that selects candidates for the job of teacher and other staff. This Selection Committee includes officers of the NVS, female representatives, distinguished educationists, experts of subjects, people from SC/ST & minorities and persons with an adequate understanding of the residential school system. These individuals guarantee that the candidates’ general character gets adequately evaluated.
For the purpose of persuading skilled and dedicated quality teachers to impart education at Navodaya Vidyalayas, presently they are being offered incentives such as:
- Accommodation facilities provided at free of cost in the JNV Campus.
- Admission facility to the wards (of Teachers) in that Navodaya Vidyalaya where they are posted.
- House-Master allowance of Rs. 800/- per month and for Associate House-Master allowance of Rs. 400/- per month.
- Free boarding with students as per rules.
- Special Allowance of 10% of Pay.
Allotment of Staff Quarters in JNVs
Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti (allotment of residence) rules, 2011
Employee Quarters will be given to staff in JNVs as per their position/designation and availability